Danny
Danny, VW Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master Certified with L1 Certification, Volkswagen Certified, VW and Audi repair shop owner
13195203

Easiest way to replace gaskets in leaky push rod tubes..cam

Easiest way to replace gaskets in leaky push rod tubes? Do you have to remove the cam?
Category: VW
Expert:  Danny replied 7 years ago.
Customer

The only way to remove the pushrod tubes is to pull the cylinder heads if you want stock tubes. Otherwise you can remove the pushrods, cut the pushrod tubes with a hacksaw, and replace them with expandable pushrod tubes found here. You do not need to pull the camshaft.

http://www2.cip1.com/SearchResults.asp?Search=pushrod&Search1=Search

When you replace the seals, cover them with RTV sealant and put them back in and that should keep them from leaking.

If I have answered your question please remember to hit accept so the site will compensate me for my time.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Sorry, I DO have expandable PRT's. It appears I cannot get the push rod out without removing the cam. The push rods will not go by the rocker. Since i have loosened cam bolts, what is replacement torque?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Sorry, I DO have expandable PRT's. It appears I cannot get the push rods out without removing the ROCKER ARM ASSEMBLY. The push rods will not go by the rocker. Since I have loosened Rocker Arm assy. bolts, what is replacement torque?
Expert:  Danny replied 7 years ago.
Ah, sorry about that, you can remove the rocker arm/shaft assembly, they may just be a little stuck. If you remove the two 13mm nuts that hold the rocker arms on then you can pull them off, remove the pushrods, and then get the pushrod tubes out. Torque on the rocker arm assembly is 18 ft lbs.

Danny