Peoples Car
Peoples Car, VW Mechanic
Experience:  Owner of Volkswagens since 1977

I need to replace the rpm sensor/crank sensor, on a 2001 VW

I need to replace the rpm sensor/crank sensor, on a 2001 VW Jetta 2.8 VR6. It's throwing a po322 code, works intermitantly. The sensor is a G26 or G28, there may be more than one sensor, so there numbered. I need to know exactly where it's located. Can you E- mail me location and printout if possible, so I can print it.
Thanks,
Category: VW
Expert:  Peoples Car replied 5 years ago.
Hi roessler... here's some information regarding the crankshaft sensor...

The crankshaft position sensor on the AAA engine is located on the "intake" side of the engine block, near the flywheel. This sensor provides a signal to the ECM regarding the position of the crankshaft.

Although the crankshaft position sensor is an essential input for the ECM to determine ignition timing, information on testing and removal and installation of the sensor is located in Section 4 of this manual.

The crankshaft position sensor on the distributorless ignition system on the side of the engine block, near the flywheel. This sensor provides a signal to the ECM regarding the speed and position of the crankshaft.

The crankshaft position sensor is an essential input for the ECM to determine ignition timing. For additional information, please refer to the following topic(s): Driveability and Emission Controls, Crankshaft Position Sensor.

Operation

The crankshaft position sensor detects gaps in the sensor ring corresponding to TDC of each cylinder. The sensor uses a permanent magnet, core and coil. The changing gap causes the magnetic field near the sensor to change. This in turn varies the voltage signal to the ECM. The ECM uses the signals for ignition timing and fuel synchronization.

Aba Engine

The crankshaft position sensor, unique to the ABA engine, is located on the side of the engine block. A special toothed wheel mounted on the crankshaft works together with the sensor to provide the ECM with information regarding the position of the crankshaft.

The crankshaft position sensor, unique to the ABA engine, is located on the side of the engine block. A special toothed wheel mounted on the crankshaft works together with the sensor to provide the ECM with information regarding the rotational speed of the crankshaft.

If the Crankshaft Position (CKP) Sensor fails, the engine will not generate a spark and will not start.

The Crankshaft Position Sensor is an essential input for the ECM to determine ignition timing. For additional information, please refer to the following topic(s): Electronic Engine Controls, Crankshaft Position Sensor

Removal & Installation

1. Disconnect the electrical connector from the sensor.
  2. Remove the crankshaft sensor retaining bolt and remove the sensor.
  3. Replace the O-ring and lightly lubricate it with clean engine oil.
  4. Installation is reverse of removal.

Testing

2.8L
  1. Disconnect the harness connector from the crankshaft position sensor.
  2. Switch the DMM to its ohms range.
  3. Connect the DMM to terminals 1 and 2 of CKP sensor harness, using adaptor leads from VW 1594 adaptor kit.
  4. Resistance between terminals 1 and 2 must be 500-700 ohms.
  5. Connect the DMM to terminals 1 and 2 , then 1 and 3 of the CKP sensor harness, using adaptor leads from VW 1594 adaptor kit.
  6. The resistance must be infinite ohms.
Peoples Car, VW Mechanic
Experience: Owner of Volkswagens since 1977