marcpod
marcpod, Own collision repair advice
Experience:  i-car/Basf training, 300 repairs and 650,000 in Collision monthly 18 yrs exp/licensed adjuster
17579256

2004 VW Beetle: convertible..a broken glove box latch...wont stay

Customer Question

My daughters 2004 VW Beetle convertible has a broken glove box latch...won't stay closed. Can I fix this myself? Can the door be fixed or does it need to be replaced. How difficult a job is this?
Category: VW
Expert:  marcpod replied 5 years ago.

Welcome to just answer. Yes it can. If you accept this please hit the green apyment tab. Bonuses are always appreciated. Thank you.

Glove Compartment, Removing And Installing

Removing

• Remove right side instrument panel cover - 1 - from instrument panel at rear - 3 - and pull off from instrument panel toward rear.
  • Remove bolts - 2 -.

• Pry off cover caps - 1 - and remove bolts - 2 -.
  • Remove switch mount - 3 - from bracket.

• Remove six bolts - arrows - (bolt in center of vehicle under cover cap).
  • Remove glove compartment - 1 -.
  • Disconnect harness connector for glove compartment lamp and, if necessary, disconnect key switch for airbag.

Installing

• Installation is performed in the reverse order of removal.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The pictures did not come through...but maybe that won't happen until I accept your advice. However, you are giving me instructions for removing the glove box...then what? Can the latch be fixed or do I need to by a new glove box? A new door? or can I get to the latch assembly in the door and is it fixable?
Expert:  marcpod replied 5 years ago.

Depends on how the latch is broken for you to decide that you. Have you gotton the door off or can it open right know, if you can't see them I will upoad again for you. Ok.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The door is still on the car and open. The small plastic latch on the left side of the glove box door has retracted into the door, the right one partially. The handle that you pull up to open the door is loose. no tension anymore. I don't see screws or a seam in the door itself. Can the door be removed at the hinges, or is it all part of a larger assembly?
Expert:  marcpod replied 5 years ago.
Well you can get specific parts especially for the handle. If for instance it is the lock cylinder that last thing you want to do is get it rekeyed.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
If you could send the pictures again I would appreciate it, they did not come throught the first time. I don't think it's a key problem, it seems like more of a spring inside the door that holds those plastic latches out until you pull up on the handle. ..they are not being held out by anything anymore. Does the door come apart? Does it come off at the hinges or is it part of a bigger assembly?
Expert:  marcpod replied 5 years ago.

Well I am going to just send the door schematic instead of the whole thing.

Glove Compartment Cover, Removing And Installing

Removing

• Remove glove compartment.

• Press out plastic pin of locking damper from left side using pliers in - direction of arrow -.

• Pry pin - 1 - out of pin opening using screwdriver.
  • Remove lock cylinder.

Installing

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX some reason the pictures don't come through. I'm using an Apple iMac on this end. I don't know if that has anything to do with it. The Alldata page came up and said their server was unavailable or the page could not be displayed. Without the images I don't know if we're talking about the same thing or not.
Expert:  marcpod replied 5 years ago.
That is the reason I will put in jpegs ok this may take a few minutes. These pictures aren't the greatest either.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
ok, thanks
Expert:  marcpod replied 5 years ago.
graphic
Expert:  marcpod replied 5 years ago.
graphic
marcpod, Own collision repair advice
Experience: i-car/Basf training, 300 repairs and 650,000 in Collision monthly 18 yrs exp/licensed adjuster
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
ok, got two pictures, but I'm not sure what it is I'm looking at. Thanks anyway Marcpod.
Expert:  marcpod replied 5 years ago.
These picturese are the latch on the inside of glove box.