Amedee
Amedee, VW Technician
Experience:  ASE certified Technician advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

My a/c on my 2000 vw jetta is not working 2.0 liter

Customer Question

my a/c on my 2000 vw jetta is not working 2.0 liter
Category: VW
Expert:  Amedee replied 7 years ago.
Greetings! If your air conditioning in not working, or working but not up to par, there can be a few different things that can cause this. There can be anything from restrictions in the system to your blend air door vents not working properly. First and foremost is look to see if your compressor is coming on. If all of your freon has leaked out, than the computer will not turn on the compressor. This is to prevent damage to the compressor and the components. This is very common! If the compressor is cycling on and off, than the system is just slightly low on freon. This will cause the AC to work, but poorly. Look for moisture around the outside of the AC fittings. This will indicate a leak. If no moisture is detected, you might just be able to get away with recharge.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
i
Expert:  Amedee replied 7 years ago.

Hello!

Did you have any further questions?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
i ck'd hoses for leaks no leakes i borrowed a friends a/c gauges seems to have plenty of pressure a/c just doesent come on
Expert:  Amedee replied 7 years ago.
How much freon is in the system?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
according to the gauge plenty just marks ok
Expert:  Amedee replied 7 years ago.
What kind of pressure do the gauges say?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

they are after market gauges they are in the safe zone .or green zone.they didnt indecate low pressure

Expert:  Amedee replied 7 years ago.
Well we are going to need to evacuate and recharge the system with dye. This way we know how much freon is in the system and we will be able to find the leak with the florescent dye
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
ill try that next thank you
Expert:  Amedee replied 7 years ago.
THanks!