VWDoc, Independent VW Shop owner
Experience:  20 years of experience working with VW's. Independent European shop owner and technician.

2000 Jetta: ac the clutch does not engage on the ac

My air conditioning does not work on my 2000 Jetta. When I turn on the AC the clutch does not engage on the compressor. I have not used my AC since last fall. Could it only be a fuse. Which one?
Category: VW
Expert:  VWDoc replied 7 years ago.
Is there refrigerant in the system?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
How do I tell if there is refrigerant in the system?
Expert:  VWDoc replied 7 years ago.
There are two ways:
1) hook up a set of refrigerant pressure gauges to the service ports, and get a reading off of them. This is the proper way of determining pressures.
2) you could remove one of the service port caps, get a pen, nail, or some pointy device, and press down on the schrader valve inside and see if refrigerant comes out. The downside here is that you still won't be able to determine if there is a full charge, and in some cases, you may just find trapped air and think that the system is charged. Careful doing this, as escaping refrigerant is quite cold.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I bought a recharge kit at Autozone that came with a gauge. There is no pressure in the system. I was going to try a recharge but I guess there is a leak someplace. The kit I bought said it stops leaks so I might try anyway. Can you tell me where the low pressure service port is located on the car?
Expert:  VWDoc replied 7 years ago.
which engine do you have in your Jetta please.

1.8 turbo gas
1.9 turbo diesel
2.0 n/a gas?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
2.0 gas no turbo
Expert:  VWDoc replied 7 years ago.
It's directly fitted to the accumulator behind the left headlamp.
Expert:  VWDoc replied 7 years ago.
Ack! Hold up! Right headlamp! Meaning passenger side. So sorry for confusing my left and right.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I figured that is what you meant