Danny, VW Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master Certified with L1 Certification, Volkswagen Certified, VW and Audi repair shop owner

2006 VW Passat: intermittent starts and runs fine.

I have a 2006 VW Passat 2.0 T with 57000 miles. The last 12000 miles the car has intermittent misfire problems. The car starts and runs fine. The misfires occure when the car is hot and after leaving a rest area or stop sign. The car will miss two or three times and then run fine. The engine light will flash or come on. The following repairs have been done at a VW dealer.
-45000 miles misfire cylinder 1 told bad gas to use premuim and put in 44 K cleaner BG208
-47000 misfire performed induction service
-50000 misfire cylinder 2, replaced the lifters, exhaust rockers and spark plugs
-50600 misfire cylinder 2, removed intake and swaped cylinder 1 and 2. test drive now in cylinder 1. removed intake and replaced injector 1.
-57000 misfire 4 times on 5000 mile trip, 3 after a stop and once going up steep hill, code 0302 on two time no code on others.
Using premuim gas any other suggestions.
Category: VW
Expert:  Danny replied 7 years ago.

Honestly, I would probably call VW of America and make them buy the car back under the lemon law. I'm not really sure what the problem is because I can't be there to diagnose it, but obviously the mechanics at your dealer don't either. Unless you want to get stuck paying for repairs they should be able to figure out once you're out of warranty you need to think about dumping the car.

This isn't a common problem, something is wrong, and they haven't been able to figure it out, you're almost out of warranty and you're going to get stuck paying for this out of your own pocket. I would try to dump it if I were you and get a new one.