David, VW Master Technician
Experience:  VW Master Technician Certified for 9 years, ASE Master Technician Certified
5856072

Why does my vw Golf keep cutting out

Customer Question

I have a 1999 VW golf cabriolet AV-GE 1984cc

The engine keeps cutting out when taking foot of the accelerator and start to break, then when putting the clutch to the floor the revs seem to dramatically fall below the usual just under 1000 rev idle speed and can cut out not every time. it does not mater if it is hot or cold. it does it when going round a corner which is bad as then loose the power steering!

It used to be my aunts car and her description was "normally happens when you change down from 3rd to 2nd, as you lift your foot of the clutch or if you were to go from 2nd to neutral.

She has had it in a garage run some diagnostic test and nothing found.
Category: VW
Expert:  David replied 7 years ago.
The most common cause of this issue, would be a faulty throttle body. You would need to have the vehicle tested and if the throttle body was replaced the shop needs to be able to set throttle adapation for the new part. This requires a factory type scan tool. There are many shops that work on VW and Audi which use a program made by Ross-Tech that can do the same things the factory scanner can do. If you can find a shop that has that capability then you should be able to have it repaired there instead of the dealer. The throttle body can be an expensive part anywere from around $300 - $750 plus the labor to install and program