marcpod
marcpod, Own collision repair advice
Experience:  i-car/Basf training, 300 repairs and 650,000 in Collision monthly 18 yrs exp/licensed adjuster
17579256

My sun roof wont close! It closes almost all the way and

My sun roof won't close! It closes almost all the way and then bounces back like something is in the way but there nothing!
Category: VW
Expert:  marcpod replied 5 years ago.
Welcome to just answer. Have you checked the cable systemto see if it was binding on something on the gear. Let me know. Do you also here clicking when it is going to close.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I don't hear anything. How do I check the gear?
Expert:  marcpod replied 5 years ago.
when you have the sunroof open check the sides/cables and gears
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I don't see anything there.
Expert:  marcpod replied 5 years ago.
to get a better diagnoses we need to have the headliner dropped to check the gear and cable it could have a small fragment or broken palstic peice that is hindering when closing. Let me know what you want to do from hear. do you know how to take out the glass?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I have no idea how to take out the glass

Expert:  marcpod replied 5 years ago.

This is how to check sunroof. If you want to the best possible place to get fixed is a accessory auto part. If you need help finding one just let me know.

Function

All moving functions of sunroof with glass panel can be performed with ignition switched on.

After ignition is switched off, the movement functions can be performed until either the driver or front passenger door is opened.

The opening of glass panel for sliding and tilt position is pre-selected using the rotary switch.

On the rotary switch, there are markings for preset sliding and tilt positions of the glass panel.

Opening the sunroof in the so-called comfort position prevents most driving noise which may occur when open completely.

Switch for automatic preset

The sunroof with glass panel is equipped with a closing force limit. When an obstruction is met during the closing sequence from the lifting or sliding position, the roof opens again by itself.

In addition, there is an emergency close function. If there are problems closing, sunroof with glass panel can be forced closed by pressing the preselector, which must be located in the "sunroof closed" position.

For the emergency close function, the closing force limit is deactivated.

The drive motor for sunroof with glass panel is protected against overheating via a running time limit. The protective mechanism activates after an uninterrupted operation of approx. two minutes . It can only be operated again after a cool-off phase.

If current fails, sunroof with glass panel can be moved at drive motor using a hex wrench. Hex wrench is located in vehicle tool kit.

Expert:  marcpod replied 5 years ago.

Glass Panel For Sunroof, Adjusting (height Adjustment)

NOTE: The glass panel height adjustment is to be performed after the glass panel has been closed out of sliding position.

Zero position of glass panel for sunroof OK (checking ).

• Remove bellows.
  • Loosen left and right mounting bolts - 1 - for glass panel for sunroof - 2 - (do not remove).
  • Drive sunroof glass panel into position "open".
  • Drive sunroof glass panel into position "closed".
  • Perform height adjustment for glass panel for sunroof at front and rear on both sides as follows:

Panel adjustment at front:

• - a - = 0 to 1 mm lower than roof
  • - Arrow - points toward the front of the vehicle.
  • Tighten front bolts on left and right (5 Nm ).

Panel adjustment at rear:

• - b - = 0 to 1 mm higher than roof
  • - Arrow - points toward front of vehicle.
  • First tighten center, then rear bolts on left and right to 5 Nm .

NOTE:

• To achieve the best possible exterior optical characteristics, make sure that the adjustment on left and right sides is performed as evenly (symmetrically) as possible.
  • Glass panel must not be higher than roof at any point at front or lower than roof at any point at rear.
  • Install bellows.

marcpod, Own collision repair advice
Experience: i-car/Basf training, 300 repairs and 650,000 in Collision monthly 18 yrs exp/licensed adjuster