Marty
Marty, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE & Bosch master tech. 30 years experience.
13230946

The right brake light on my wifes 2001 VW Beetle is out.

The right brake light on my wife's 2001 VW Beetle is out. I feel like the village idiot but I can't figure out how to replace the bulb. The owners manual only suggests taking it to the dealership, imagine that. One web site indicates just replacing the whole tail light assembly.
Sorry to bother you with such a (probably) simple question. Customer
Category: VW
Expert:  Marty replied 5 years ago.

Hi Mike, you're doing it correctly. The light tends to get stuck in the body. When you loosen the knurled nut try pushing outwards on it before you remove it all the way to help break the lamp loose from the body. I've attached the procedure for you. Once out you just rotate the bulb holder 90° to remove it. Make sure you get the tail light properly engaged back in the body before you tighten it.

Marty

graphic

Marty, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: ASE & Bosch master tech. 30 years experience.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Thanks Marty, I kinda figured that the assembly may just be stuck but as I said I was afraid to exert too much pressure. Your answer confirms exactly how to do it and I really appreciate that. Do you happen to know right off the top of your head the bulb that is used? I am in a tiny community high in the Colorado Rockies and we don't have any kind of auto store here but we do have a hardware that carries most "common" bulbs.

Thanks very much,

Customer/p>
Expert:  Marty replied 5 years ago.

You're welcome Mike. It should take a 7506 single filament bulb.

graphic

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Thanks again, I was just out in the garage attempting to get the housing out and boy is it stuck. It has not been out since the vehicle was purchased in Jan. of '01. What about spraying a little WD-40 around the sealing gasket?

M

Expert:  Marty replied 5 years ago.
Absolutely, and be patient with it.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Thanks much, Marty, it is extremely tight, I think I will let is soak maybe even for a day or so. Thanks very much for your help and have a wonderful remainder of your weekend.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

FYI, I just went out with my Leatherman and with the knife I was able to very gently lift the sealing gasket away from the painted surface and spray some WD-40 under the gasket surface, we will see how that works. I did that around the top portion of the gasket and then sprayed it. I then let it set about five min. and pulled the gasket away near the bottom and there was WD present, it had worked its way down. I'll bet that will do it.

M

Expert:  Marty replied 5 years ago.

It sounds like you're getting it Mike. Let me know if you need anything else.

Regards,

Marty