Danny, VW Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master Certified with L1 Certification, Volkswagen Certified, VW and Audi repair shop owner

2006 vw passat rear disc brake pad change. How do I press

2006 vw passat rear disc brake pad change. How do I press the piston back with the parking brake mechanism? dOES IT SCREW BACK?
Category: VW
Expert:  Danny replied 7 years ago.

You have to use a scan tool to screw the brakes back in on this vehicle. There is no other way to do it. Only the dealer or a shop that specializes in VW and Audi will have this tool unfortunately.

If I have answered your question please remember to hit accept so the site will compensate me for my time. If you need further assistance please let me know.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
do I just have to screw the piston back in?
Expert:  Danny replied 7 years ago.
No, like I said, there's a motor since your car has electronic parking brakes. On the other VW models you do just screw the caliper back in, but not on these. You have to have a scan tool so you can electronically wind the calipers back, then you just push the caliper piston straight in.

It isn't possible to do a brake job on the rear of this vehicle without Vag-Com from or without the dealer scan tool. There are some other computers that will do it but they cost more than Vag-Com and do only the brake caliper wind in. Vag Com does everything the dealer scan tool can do.