Mr. EdC
Mr. EdC, ASE Mastertech
Experience:  30 + years of repairing all makes, all models
17852688

2000 VW beetle: you turn the air conditioner on, it is ice cold

Customer Question

I have a 2000 VW beetle. The problem is the air conditioner. When you turn the air conditioner on, it is ice cold. The compressor works fine and all is great. Turn the car off and go inside a store, then return to the car and turn it on. Then, when you turn on the air conditioner, it does not work. The compressor does not kick on. But then, while driving, the air conditioner suddenly starts to work, ice cold. Today, I went to start the car and turn on the air conditioner and the compressor does not kick in. I'm thinking a relay because we had a mechanic check the air conditioner components and all is good. Something is not "kicking in" the air conditioner compressor. What do I have to do to get it working?
Category: VW
Expert:  Mr. EdC replied 5 years ago.

Which motor does your beetle have,Customer

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
2.0 non turbo.
Expert:  Mr. EdC replied 5 years ago.

The compressor receives its power from the fan control module via the brown wire with the red tracer. The first step would to check for power on that wire at the A/C compressor clutch. If there's power, with the engine running, A/C on and the compressor inoperative, try gently tapping on the compresor clutch. It is common for the magnet in the clutch system to get weak, or the spacing between the clutch and hub to increase with wear, and eventually widen to the point that the clutch magnet can't pull it into the engaged position.

Check that first, and let me know. If this helped, hit the "accept answer" button, and thank you in advance.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Ok. I will try this tomorrow and let you know how it goes.
Expert:  Mr. EdC replied 5 years ago.

Please do. I will be in and out all day tomorrow, and will look for your input.

As far as I can tell by the wiring diagrams, there is no compressor-clutch specific relay. Its contained in the fan control module. Until I hear from you, I will research that module for possible pattern failures.

Thank you again.

Ed

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I took the car to a mechanic because the air conditioner cut off and stayed off. The mechanic raised the hood and immediatly went straight to the problem. It appears he touched some kind of switch and the air conditioner clicked on. He is ordering the 100 dollar part and im sure will be charging me huge labor just to remove the switch and put the new one on. Makes me mad because I just had the oil pan gasket replaced (leaking oil) at 550 dollars. A volkswagon clothes, BMW/Mercedes appetite for repairs.