Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database
17871496

How do you change the spark plugs in a volkswagon Jetta 1.8 L turbo?

Customer Question

Category: VW
Expert:  Dan replied 7 years ago.
What year?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

2002

Expert:  Dan replied 7 years ago.

I do not have step by step instructions for this vehicle. From what I see it doesnt require much other then pulling the connectors off the Coil-on-Plug, removing it, then removing the spark plug and when replacing it, give it a good tighten but gentle at the same time. Or if you have a tourqe wrench the specs are 22ft lbs. If there is a plastic cover in the way you can remove it by taking off the oil cap and using 10mm socket usually. Let me know if I answered your questions and if there was anything else you were looking for. Thanks.

graphic

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
any more detail on what direction to turn the coil ? does it just turn one way and how much do you turn it? what tool should I use? channel locks?
Expert:  Dan replied 7 years ago.
There may be a 8 or 10mm bolt holding the injector in, if so remove the bolt and you should be able to pull the coil straight out with your handes. Nothing too hard, just be carefull, if you try pry you could break something.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
so basically pul the plug wire off, remove 8mm bolt, pull the coil up correct?
Expert:  Dan replied 7 years ago.
Yes, then tighten it to 22ft pounds. Let me know if you have any other related questions. Thanks.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
thanks
Expert:  Dan replied 7 years ago.
Hello, do you still need any further answers? If not, please hit the accept button as this is the only way I get credit for my time. Thanks and good luck!