Danny, VW Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master Certified with L1 Certification, Volkswagen Certified, VW and Audi repair shop owner

my timing belt tensioner (1.8T) will not move enough to get

my timing belt tensioner (1.8T) will not move enough to get the new belt on. any suggestions?

Have you compressed and locked the hydraulic portion of the tensioner in place already or installed a new hydraulic tensioner that is already compressed? I recommend replacing the hydraulic portion as they have been known to fail and there's currently a lawsuit against VW and Audi for them failing.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

how do you compress the hydraulic tensioner?

The easiest way is to unbolt it from the engine (there's two 10mm bolts holding it on) and compress it in a vise, there's a small hole to insert something small like an allen wrench into it and keep it locked in place.

If I have answered your question please remember to hit accept so the site will compensate me. If you need further assistance please let me know.

I'll be away for 10 - 15 minutes I gotta throw a transmission back in a Cabriolet real quick.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Awesome. Thanks