Danny, VW Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master Certified with L1 Certification, Volkswagen Certified, VW and Audi repair shop owner

if the ESP light is constantly on, what does it mean

if the ESP light is constantly on, what does it mean?
Category: VW
Expert:  Danny replied 7 years ago.

It either means the system is disabled or there is a problem with the system. Try pressing the ESP button and see if the light turns off. If it won't, something is wrong with the system and you'll have to take it to an independant VW repair shop or the dealer to get them to scan the vehicle and see what fault is in memory. Unfortunately generic scan tools can't do this so it does need to be a shop that has Vag-Com or the dealership. Or, you can buy yourself the Vag-Com software which will cost $250 if it's an 04 or older and $350 if it's 05 or newer, then you can basically do most of your diagnosis on your own. The software is available from

If I have answered your question please remember to hit accept so the site will compensate me. If you need futher assistance please let me know.

By the way I forgot to even define what ESP was. It's the traction control.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Hello Danny,

I understand something is wrong with the system and when I tried to drive the next day, the car wouldn't move at all. I assume that's part of the problem, too, correct? And the EPS light is still on as well.

Expert:  Danny replied 7 years ago.
Yeah that's part of the problem, the ESP system light can also come on when there's a problem with the drivetrain, as far as what it is though, could be a thousand different things so unfortunately I'm not going to be able to really pinpoint it over the internet in this situation I'm afraid. Could be a failed Haldex control module, faulty sensor, mechanical problem, etc.