vwbugman, VW Technician
Experience:  35 years experience on VW air cooled and water cooled repair and restoration

Volkswagen passat: 1.8l..turbo..My oil pressure light came

Hi, I have volkswagen passat 2003 1.8l turbo. My oil pressure light came on during driving. I change oil every 5000 miles, and car runs good even vhen this light is on. Any idea what it could be? Thanks
Category: VW
Expert:  vwbugman replied 7 years ago.

You need to have an oil pressure test done on the car. This is not something to mess around with. The 1.8 engines had a sludge problem. They went to a larger oil filter and synthetic oil. You could have a sludged up oil pump screen, faulty oil pump, or faulty oil sending switch. Anyway it goes, take the car to a dealer or trusted vw mechanic and have the oil pressure test done. Failure to do so could result in engine wear, bearing failure, and finally engine failure. Check with the vw dealer to see if there was an extended warranty on your engine. The problem is, you have to show proof of all the oil changes.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX running good, just that light. In dealer, they want $380 just to check it. I had that check by one mechanic, and it is not a switch or oil pump. He said it has something to do with turbo. I know about the extended warranty, but I do not think so, that I would have proof for 3 years oil changes. Any more sugestions?