Anthony
Anthony, VW Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Automobile Technician with over 20 years exp. in this field.
15218643

Where is the OBDII port located on a 2003 Volkswagen Passat

Where is the OBDII port located on a 2003 Volkswagen Passat V6 GLS?
Category: VW
Expert:  Anthony replied 5 years ago.

Hi and welcome to Just Answer!

See picture below of the location of the port:

graphic

Anthony, VW Technician
Experience: ASE Master Automobile Technician with over 20 years exp. in this field.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Can't view image. Can you tell me in an email?
Expert:  Anthony replied 5 years ago.

Try the link below:

CLICK HERE

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Got another question. I just bought a 2003 Passat V6 GLX (no AWD) and the first day I'm driving to work, the check engine light comes on. The Code is P0431 (Bank 2, Warm up catalyst below threshold).

Car passed CT emissions recently. Mileage is around 23 MPG so I don't think it is a bad O2 sensor(s). I've read on posts that this could be bad vacuum lines for a valve to the cat (?). If so , is this a simple fix? Any other advice you can offer?

Thanks!

Bill
Expert:  Anthony replied 5 years ago.

Hello again.

That code is for cat efficency which means that the cat isnt removing enough pollutants. The only thing that can be done about that code is first to have VW update the engine computers software. If it still comes up afterwards, then the cat is bad. No valves or vacuum lines the problem pertaining to that code.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
This code rules out O2 sensors as well? Does it hurt to drive the car in this condition?What is ball park charge for VW to update engine software?

Thanks

Bill
Expert:  Anthony replied 5 years ago.

All sensors are ok. The software update is about an hour of labor.

Anthony, VW Technician
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Bank 2 is driver side or passenger side?
Expert:  Anthony replied 5 years ago.
Bank two is the drivers side of the engine
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Anthony - I checked with my local VW dealer. They ran the car's VIN through there system. Car was sold as a Certified pre-owned VW in 2005. They said all software updates are current on the car.

Guess this means I need a driver's side cat?
Expert:  Anthony replied 5 years ago.
That's correct, if the software is up to date then the cat is bad. Just a note though. Dont do the cat until you are up for state inspection. Because the cat isnt bad, its just not working 100 percent. BTW also federal law states that VW has to cover the cat under warranty until 100K miles.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
You mean even though I bought this car used and I am the third owner, VW has to honor the 100,000 mile warranty on emission systems by Federal law? This warranty transferable? Does it cover parts AND labor? Please confirm if you can - I may as well do it now before I reach 100K!

Thanks for the advice.

Bill
Expert:  Anthony replied 5 years ago.
I'm about 90% sure, run it by the VW dealer.
Anthony, VW Technician
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks You for all of your help! You have turned a $1,200 bummer (parts and labor for installed cat from VW dealer) into a manageable problem. Worst case, I can get an after-market cat for about $400 and put it in myself.

By the way, the service manager suggested that since I needed the bank 2 cat, I may as well do the bank 1 cat as well since "it's just a matter of time." ...all for $2,100!

I will follow up with my VW dealer on the 100K warranty and not to worry, I won't mention my information source and your name. That's "confidential".

If I have more questions later, how do I pick up on this thread and how do I recommend you to others?? I really appreciate your help - you have been great!

Best regards,

Bill
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
BTW I hope I am doing this right as far as payment for your time. You should have received $23.00 so far but it's confusing with this site design to check a total for compensation. Let me know if $23 is correct.

Thanks

Bill
Expert:  Anthony replied 5 years ago.
Yeah it looks like you accepted three times from me and that would equal $27.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Fine. Thanks again.
Expert:  Anthony replied 5 years ago.
Thank you also! I appreciate it and I hope this matter gets sorted for you properly.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Will let you know. Have a good weekend.
Expert:  Anthony replied 5 years ago.
You do the same and thanks again.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hello Anthony -

New question on 2003 Passat V6 2.8 GLX. Very confused about which oil to use. VW specifies 5W-40 in owner's manual but I have seen Penzoil recommend 10W-40 for this engine. Is it ok to run a conventional 10W-40 oil? I could only find 5W-40 in synthetic by Mobil One. Would this be a better choice? Any known sludge issues with this engine? I live in Connecticut where temperature extremes range from O degrees to 95 degrees average and I won't be towing anything with the car.

Also, do you have to run premium fuel in the Passat V6 2.8? If you run 87 or 91 octane instead of 93, will this hurt the engine?

Thanks for your help.

Bill

PS Engine light mysteriously went out and I can't reproduce the cat code no matter how I try. I'll assume all is ok for now!
Expert:  Anthony replied 5 years ago.

Hello again!

Go with the Mobil 1 Euro Car formula. I use it in all of my vlients VW's and have had nothing but positive results under the most extreme conditions and it is highly resistant to sludging. As for the octane, use 89 or above at all times. Also, if the light went out, then you are fine and good to go for now.

Anthony

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I got Mobil 1 5W-40 but it says "Turbo Diesel Truck" on the label. The back label says it meets "API SM, SL/SJ" industry standards for gasoline engines. Is this ok to use?
Expert:  Anthony replied 5 years ago.
That's the wrong oil with the wrong additives for your application. I know Wal-mart stock the euro car formula and the cap on the bottle is black.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Ok - will return it and look for Euro car formula. Last question. Is either 10W-40 or 0W-40 Mobil One acceptable to use in lieu of 5W-40? And if you switch to synthetic, can you ever use conventional oil again?

Thanks
Expert:  Anthony replied 5 years ago.

Mobil 1 only comes in 0W40 now so its pretty easy to distinguish. You can switch back and fourth as much as you like, but M1 is way better for your engine and you should stick with it. If you choose to use conventional oil, 15W-40 is the only weight you should use and not a diesel formula either.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Ok but just want to clarify one point - Can I use 0W-40 Mobil One Synthetic for my engine in CT climate?
Expert:  Anthony replied 5 years ago.
That's what it is designed for, thats what the zero means believe it or not, cold weather. the 40 means that it is 40 weight when hot. Mobil 1 works in ALL climates almost perfect.
Anthony, VW Technician