Danny
Danny, VW Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master Certified with L1 Certification, Volkswagen Certified, VW and Audi repair shop owner
13195203

My 1999 VW new beetle alarm keeps going off as soon as the

Customer Question

My 1999 VW new beetle alarm keeps going off as soon as the key is turned in the ignition. I do not have a remote access, and can not unlock the trunk with the key (have to use the button on the door panel). How do I disable the alarm, or otherwise fix the problem?
Category: VW
Expert:  Danny replied 5 years ago.
Carey,

The only way to solve this problem is to fix the problem.
You can not disable the alarm because it is actual contained in the same
control module as the power windows and many other things.

The problem is either one of the door latches have failed or the
third brake light has leaked water onto the trunk latch and destroyed
it. The dealer or a vw specialist can check what has been setting
the alarm off and you can go from there. Or, you can attempt
to check by seeing if the dome ligh turns on when each of the
doors are opened.

Please remember to hit accept if I have answered your question.
If you need any further assistance please let me know.
Danny
Danny, VW Mechanic
Experience: ASE Master Certified with L1 Certification, Volkswagen Certified, VW and Audi repair shop owner
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX be the problem. There is no light on the ceiling, so I am not sure about the dome light.

When turning the key in the drivers door, the passenger door does not unlock. I have to use the button inside the car. The trunk also makes noises, but does not release first time. It seems as though the door catches do not move all the way to release the catches.

Expert:  Danny replied 5 years ago.
The door latches have problems with the microswitches failing in them and the trunk latches frequently fail in most VW models as well. I don't know why seems their supplier doesn't know how to make latches well. You'll need to figure out which ones faulty and replace it. Thanks for the accept.