Abe
Abe, VW Technician
Experience:  6 yrs with volkswagon, skills include electrical, engine performance, engine rebuild, brakes,and A/C
10882593

2008 PASSAT: I CHANGE THE OIL FILTER..2.0 TURBO..TURBO ENGINE..ENGINE.

HOW DO I CHANGE THE OIL FILTER ON A 2008 PASSAT WITH THE 2.0 TURBO ENGINE? IT MUST HAVE A CANNISTER FILTER ON THE FRONT OF THE ENGINE. HOW DO I OPEN UP THE CANNISTER AND WHAT IS THE DRAIN ZERK FOR AND HOW DO I OPEN IT?
Category: VW
Expert:  Abe replied 7 years ago.
Hi

the canister filter is located in the frt of the engine and you remove it with a 36 mm socket or an oil filter socket depending on housing. the center drain is to drain out the oil and not make a mess everywhere when pulling the filter off. you open it by pushing it in and putting it to the side at an angle to stay open however if you push to hard you can break the canister inside.