vwnewton, VW Owner,ASE Master and L1 Advanced
Experience:  25 years of VW obsession turned into a job, last 15 years as a VW Tech.

My car will run fine for awhile and then cut off when you..cuts..sits

Customer Question

My car will run fine for awhile and then cut off when you take your foot off the gas (happened one time) or cut off when you stop at a light or stop sign(happened 3 or 4 times). Once it cuts off you have to let it sit for about one hour before it will start back. The longer it sits it seems like it will go longer before it cuts off again. It has not cut off as long as you are giving it gas. It is a 97 Jetta.
Category: VW
Expert:  vanagonman replied 7 years ago.
Is the car putting out any codes? Is the check engine light on? You should be able to get the codes out of the computer by going to an Auto Zone or Advance Auto Parts. They will read the codes for you for free. Then let me know what they are and I can help you further.