Danny, VW Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master Certified with L1 Certification, Volkswagen Certified, VW and Audi repair shop owner

2003 GTI: My hood would not close..hood wont lock

My hood would not close on my 2003 GTI so I purchased a new hood latch assembly. I installed it but the hood will not lock close. I tried to lock the latching assembly by pushing the spring load assembly but it won't lock. It would seem that this spring loaded rotating part would lock into the assembly that is attached to the cable which opens the latching assembly. Also what does the little micro switch do that is attached to the spring loaded part.
Category: VW
Expert:  Danny replied 7 years ago.

Have you tried adjusting the hood latch, it has some play in it so you may just need to loosen it and then push it further upwards and then bolt it down. The microswitch is for the alarm system so it knows if somebody has tried to pop your hood to disconnect the battery in an attempt to steal your car.