dan
dan, VW Technician
Experience:  ase master tech, vw specialist
15750191

1996 Jetta: 2.0 gas..automatic..Transmission shifts..slips..heats

I have a 1996 Jetta, 2.0 gas, 01M automatic 4 speed transmission. Transmission shifts hard from first to second and slips going into third. Shifts fine at start up, seems to get bad as vehicle heats up. I have replaced trans computer, internal wiring cable in trans, all shift solenoids, checked for stuck valves, and used VW recommended fluid to refill. What should I try next? Valve body replacement?
Category: VW
Expert:  dan replied 8 years ago.
I don't think that the valve body replacement will remedy the transmission slipping into third. At the dealership we have a plate that bolts up and replaces the valve body . You put compressed air tho it and see if the clutch packs have excessive leakage. For a little bit more than the cost of the parts you have installed and the valve body you could probably find a replacement used transmission.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I only had the hard shift until I changed the solenoids and fluid then the slippng into third came along. As the trans tries to shift into third the engine revs up and the gear seems to slide in. That's called slipping, right? Why did that start at fluid change? Is there anything I can do to help (esp. the hard shift) until I can find a used trans? Thanks so much for the prompt reply!!