David, VW Master Technician
Experience:  VW Master Technician Certified for 9 years, ASE Master Technician Certified
5856072

How can I find unlock code for my VW radio? I lost the card.

How can I find unlock code for my VW factory radio. I lost the card. Thanks.

We can get your radio unlock code, but you will need to pull the radio out and get the serial number on the radio. You will need to get a set of unlock tools to pull the radio out. On the side of the radio is a 14 digit serial number that starts with VWZ. If you can get this serial number, I can get you the unlock code.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

No problem. I have the radio out of the dashboard already but i have the car 10 minutes away from me. I will go get that serial number later like in an hour.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Hi , the serial number is vwz9z7w2041062. Would you be able to give me the instructions on, how to program it too ? Thanks

Radio Data
Radio Data Serial number: VWZ9Z7W2041062
PIN: 1972

Your pin is your code, 1972.

You will see the radio in safe mode it will have 1000. Enter the code I gave you by pressing the first button number one preset button for the first digit, then the second button for the following number, and so on. Once you have the four digits entered the press the left seek button hold it for two seconds. That should unlock your radio. Now if the radio had safe with a small number 2 on it, the radio is locked and to unlock you must leave the radio on along with the car on for at least one hour. Once it goes to the 1000 then you can enter the code

Thank you for using Just Answer

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Thanks very much I'm gonna do that tomorrow. I have other codes to show you because my check engine light is on. Do you speak Spanish by any chance?

Not a problem let me know what else you need. And yes I do speak spanish.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
que bien es mejor esplicar mi problema en espanol , tengo un 99 vw beetle 2.0 que se me esta apagando a veces y tengo que acelerar para prenderlo y para que se quede prendido si no se apaga ya le hize el tune up y cambie el ignition coil anyway me salen estos codigos po300,po302,po303,po304,po411,y po172 me dicen que puede ser el speed sensor o el temperature sensor que tu crees? oh reciviste mi pago por paypal?

Change the Mass Air Flow Meter. Remove the Phillips not the torx.

graphic

Also on the rearof the engine for the Fault P0411 There is a combi valve see picture below, replace the vacuum line to this valve.

graphic

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Can I buy these parts at a regular auto parts or I have to go to the dealer? Thanks

The MAF I suggest you purchase at the dealer. I have seen to many issues with aftermarket MAFs causing problems. Make sure you take the VIN number or the old part with you so that they give you the correct one.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

The MAF goes on the engine right? How much would it cost at the dealer, any idea?

The MAF is around $150 to $200 depending on which part number it is. The vacuum line is around $10.00.

The MAF is bolted to the air cleaner box, see picture above.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Thanks for your time. I really appreciate it...

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Guess what, I change the mass air flow meter and still the same. I have already spent 300 dollars. Any ideas? Some people say it is the computer.

Any additional fault codes? Not likely compluter, in all of my years working with VWs I never had to replace one other than when someone jumped started the car backwards. ECM are very good and know known to have problems. There are really only a couple of items that can cause this, throttle body is one that comes to mind, but I really would like to see codes, if any

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Only the cylinder 3 and 4 misfire. And yes, they mention the throttle body but I think, is way to expensive and what if it is not the problem.

Misfires can be caused by a dirty or faulty throttle body. I would like to know the exact P codes related to the throttle body. That would be very helpful. There is a throttle adaptation that can be done with a VW type scanner. If the system lost adaption values you will get issues related to the throttle body. This will cause issues with fuel trim
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

I'm sorry i'm just so confused now. I don't know what to do if I have another beetle with the same engine even if its automatic. Can I try to swap the throttle body to see if it does improve. Do I have to disconnect batteries?

Anytime you replace or change the throttle body, the ECM needs to be recalibrated. It is called a throttle adapation. You will need a VW Type scanner to be able to program this. There is a company called Ross Tech that makes a program for a laptop that does the same thing as the factory scanner. You might want to see if you can find someone that has one so that you can do the adaptation.