Abe
Abe, VW Technician
Experience:  6 yrs with volkswagon, skills include electrical, engine performance, engine rebuild, brakes,and A/C

99 VW Passat 1.8 AEB. check engine on, replaced tubro, car

99 VW Passat 1.8 AEB. check engine on, replaced tubro, car has no power or lack of power. replaced + crankcase ventilation valve was leaking oil from there. when car is at ilde runs good and no oil light comes on when driving no power and oil light comes on. also new tubro turns bright red.
Category: VW
Expert:  VWDoc replied 5 years ago.

What code are you getting from the check engine light?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
i think it was 422 or 427. if the tubro turned bright red is it bad now?
Expert:  VWDoc replied 5 years ago.

The turbo may still be ok, but you need to make sure the converter isn't plugged and that you're not over fueling. Please confirm the code. It will start with a P then 4 digits
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
P0422, and from looking on the inside it don't look clog.
Expert:  VWDoc replied 5 years ago.

I don't have my service info right in front of me but I think the 422 is just an EVAP leak code. I'd like to know the fuel pressure and injector pulse width (opening duration)
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
if car is ildeing runs great. with engine check light on.
put in drive no power or hard time shifting.
i think p0422 is c.c. if so where cause i get new or used without paying dealer price?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Relist: No answer yet.
Expert:  Abe replied 5 years ago.
Hi that fault code means you have a bad catalytic converter not an evap leak as you were told before however the only place to get a cat is at the dealer the aftermarket ones do not always work right with vw's.

I've had customers come in all the time with an aftermarket or a weld on and they have the same fault but now they also have to pay a core charge. so you will end upp spending more in the long run.

as far as used by federal law you are not supposed to be able to buy a used cat.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
hello, hope all is well.
last thing do you think the tubro is gone beings it turned bright red maybe two times?
and if i get one off an old car with a 100k and my car has 172k i maybe ok?
Expert:  Abe replied 5 years ago.
no i highly doubt your turbo blew but your cat is clogged causing this issue most likely.

you said that you already replaced the turbo did you replace with new or used?

and did the shaft have any play?

if the shaft has little to no play the turbo is ok but could still lock up internally the fact that it is turning red means that it is working and under certain loads it is normall for the turbo to turn red or glow at night.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
i bought a rebuild one but i found out from company its new.
Expert:  Abe replied 5 years ago.
that will be fine you should not have an issue with the turbo
Abe, VW Technician
Experience: 6 yrs with volkswagon, skills include electrical, engine performance, engine rebuild, brakes,and A/C