DPells
DPells, VW Technician
Experience:  3 years VW Dealer Experience, enthusiast and 2 year degree in automotive
14197995

I have a Mk4 Golf. The boot does not open on the remote nor

Customer Question

I have a Mk4 Golf. The boot does not open on the remote nor on the key. I can hear a clunk from the area of the boot-lock on unlocking but nothing happens when I operate the latch. The key will not move the barrel either.
Category: VW
Expert:  DPells replied 5 years ago.
Hey gene thanks for your question,

It's a really common problem on mk4's to have the latch assembly in the rear fail over time. What happens is they will get gummed up at the barrel do to lack of use because everyone uses there key or button on the door. Then when assembly fails electronically the owner realizes that the barrel does not work either. I believe you have a emergency pull handle in the inside of the vehicle. If you pull the rear seats down take a look and you should have something to pull on the can open it. If this doesn't work you can either take it to the dealer or if your really careful you can use the key and turn just the metal piece and open the hatch. The only problem is theres a chance you can bend the key or brake it so if you do this just take your time and if you feel like your going to brake something, stop. It's tough but you should be able to open it this way. When you get it open, pull the trim piece off should be 4 screws max inside the grip handles. After that it's 2 bolts on the latch and inspect it for corrosion but even if you don't see it replace the latch. If you see corrosion you probably have a small leak and moisture was getting to the latch. I hope this answer helps. If you need anything else please feel free to ask.

Dpells
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Sorry, I've looked inside, no sign of a lever or anything to pull. Tried putting some pressure on the key but no luck there either.

Any idea where the pull handle might be ? Its certainly not readily visible.

Gene

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Sorry ! Too slow. I'm off to bed....

G.

Expert:  DPells replied 5 years ago.
Sorry about that, I was at work and didn't get a chance to get to a computer. If you don't see one then there isn't one on the inside. Most hatches don't but i have seen a rare few that do. Just wanted to make sure you did or didn't. Well my advice is to probably take it to a trusted mechanic that knows vw's. 1st because unless you have experience doing this theres a pretty good chance you may brake something. Second if you take it to a reputable shop and they brake it. They will pay to fix what THEY brake and get your trunk open. Third they have a lot of ticks to get them open since they will have most likely delt with this problem before. Hope that helps.

Dpells