dan
dan, VW Technician
Experience:  ase master tech, vw specialist
15750191

my 99 jetta wont go into reverse all the time

Customer Question

my 99 jetta won't go into reverse all the time
Category: VW
Expert:  dan replied 7 years ago.
DearCustomer

I am assuming that this vehicle is an automatic transmission. The first thing that I would do to remedy this problem is to have the fluid level checked by a qualified repair facility. A the same time I would have the fault memory of the vehicles transmission control module checked. This can reveal electrical problems in the system.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

I'm sorry, yes it is automatic. I will take it to get it checked out. I heard that vw transmissions are "closed transmissions" and are not repairable only replaceable. Is that true? Are the modules expensive? I do have a code for wheel speed control sensor is that transmission or ABS. My daughter knocked out the ABs sensor. thanks

Expert:  dan replied 7 years ago.
Customer

The ABS sensor will not cause your problem that you are experiencing. They are not sealed transmissions but do require a vw scan tool to set the fluid level (no dipstick). These transmissions are repairable and finally, if there are no fault codes it is not likely that you will have to replace this component. Also, while having the fluid checked it probably be a good idea to have the filter replaced it requires the removal of the transmission oil pan. I hope that my answer was helpful.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thanks so much for all the info.
Expert:  dan replied 7 years ago.
You are welcome, and thank you for using justanswer.com. Good luck with your problem. If you have any more questions feel free to ask.