gomi_otaku
gomi_otaku, VW Technician
Experience:  VW FastTrack '00-'01, VW Academy Chicago and Seattle '00-present, VW Certified
12249065

Hi- I have a 1985 volkswagen vanagon gl .. only done about

Hi- I have a 1985 volkswagen vanagon gl .. only done about 74,000 miles. has not been driven in a year. it was in great condition when i got a newer car, but air conditioner has never worked well.
Category: VW
Expert:  gomi_otaku replied 7 years ago.

You can check on TheSamba.com and look at other vehicles in your area, or in other areas of the country. IF you are interested in selling it, you can post it on there, and use their classifieds to get a pretty good judgement of reasonable asking prices (since they will vary depending on your area, here in the Pacific NW they are plentiful but in Florida I have heard they are rarely seen.

I would advise that at least getting it into running condition will be the best way to maximize what you can get for it, though maybe at that point you'll fall in love with it and decide to keep it!

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
have you any idea of what it might be worth if it were running?
Again, it depends on where you try to sell it. If you post it on TheSamba it can be seen by people all over the US, and you may be able to put a higher price on it than if you were to post it on Craigslist in the Miami area. There are certain people out there who want these vans, and you have to target them. Check the listings on TheSamba and try to find one local to your area, to see what they have to offer and what price they are asking. You could check on Craigslist in your area, and a couple other surrounding areas, to see if prices being asked are higher in different areas. If may be worth it to consider meeting someone 100 miles away if you can get more money (and if you have someone who can give you a ride back)