Danny
Danny, VW Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master Certified with L1 Certification, Volkswagen Certified, VW and Audi repair shop owner
13195203

What does the code epc mean? volkswagen jetta. 2001.

what does the code epc mean? volkswagen jetta. 2001. car will not go in gear. can not get it out of park??
Category: VW
Expert:  Danny replied 5 years ago.
Customer

It means there's a problem with the electronic power controls, in your case it's a faulty brake light switch. There was a recall for this so the dealer will replace the switch for free if it hasn't been done yet, if you give me your vin I will check. For now you may be able to get it into neutral by doing it before you start the car, then you will find the sweet spot between neutral and drive where the car will start, basically push the putton on the shifter and slowly pull towards drive while holding the key in the start position. If the car starts you can then pop it into drive and be off. It can be a pain.

Regardless you need to replace your brake light switch.

Danny
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
thanks danny.. it worked. we got a recall letter. one more question if you can. when the car is going, it makes a wineing airplane sound? like bad bearings. mostly at higher speeds.
Expert:  Danny replied 5 years ago.
Get up to high speed and swerve left and right, if the noise goes away when swerving one direction it's bad wheel bearings. The noise gets worse when the weight is transferred to that bearing usually.

Please remember to hit accept when we're through so the site will compensate me, if you have any more questions let me know.

Danny
Danny, VW Mechanic
Experience: ASE Master Certified with L1 Certification, Volkswagen Certified, VW and Audi repair shop owner