Jake, VW Technician
Experience:  Over 30 years experience with VW, Audi, BMW. Factory trained, former Shop Foreman, Service Manager

2003 gti: s airbag light stays..first start..light comes

Customer Question

My 2003 GTI's airbag light stays on and when I first start the car the AIRBAG FAULT light comes on briefly. What could this be?
Category: VW
Expert:  Jake replied 7 years ago.

Thank You for choosing "Just Answer" for your questions concerning your Audi. Yes, I can help you.

The MIL (Malfunction Indicator Light) comes on any time the Air Bag Control unit detects a deficiency in the system during one of it's on going system self tests. When the MIL is illuminated, the system is shut down (inoperative). So is the car safe to drive? As safe as it was before, but without the air bag system.

The vehicle should be taken to a repair facility that can scan the On Board Diagnostic System where they can retrieve the code and test/repair the component based on the trouble code.

The problem could be anything from a failed electrical connection under the seat to a failed control module. I need the Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) number associated with the illuminated Malfunction Indicator Light (MIL) to further assist you. If you have the system scanned to retrieve the code number and return here I can further assist you.

I hope that I have answered your questions and addressed your concerns. Should you have any further questions for me, please do not hesitate to ask. Positive feedback is always appreciated. If you accept my answer please click on the "ACCEPT" button.

Thank You!