Danny, VW Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master Certified with L1 Certification, Volkswagen Certified, VW and Audi repair shop owner

2003 passat with low oil pressure warning, read the vw service

2003 passat with low oil pressure warning, read the vw service procedure, check bearings, check sump filter, flush oil The procedure calls for changing a bunch of little items if no burn wear on bearings and trashing engine if any burn or wear on the bearings, is this the normal manufacturer conservative approach to a repair and liberal attack on my wallet, the light came on when the engine was working hard climbing up into the mountains, went off not long after going down at lower rpm power demand, the way I look at it if an oil flush and clean or replace of the uptake screen or replace the oil pump turns the light out who cares what the bearings look like after all it is not freaking airplane engine. Just not going to take any long drives in the desert in summer with this car. what is the chances of this flush and clean working?
Category: VW
Expert:  Danny replied 7 years ago.

I think it is a little bit overdoing it myself. I personally know a couple of techs who bought cars that had 1.8t engines and had sludge buildup. They just removed the pan, scraped the sludge, and ran the flush and had no problems. It is VW being conservative to do the repair right.

It does matter if the bearings are messed up, the engine will fail if this happens. I just did a motor swap last week because the bearings got chewed up and the metal started eating through seals. The motor started leaking all over the place. Plus it will cause other problems.

Is it expensive, yes. Is it the right way to do it, yes. Is it the cheap way to do it, not really, and I have heard of people doing it cheaply and getting some success.