Danny
Danny, VW Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master Certified with L1 Certification, Volkswagen Certified, VW and Audi repair shop owner
13195203

How to replace alternator on 2001 beetle tdi.is there a easy way

Category: VW
Expert:  Danny replied 5 years ago.
John,

I don't think there's really an "easy" way, it's pretty shoehorned in there. I think in the past I have removed the right side headlight and the metal bucket inside, you have to massage the metal bucket for the headlight a little bit to get it out. I think I also remove the right motor mount from the engine bay (leaving the part of the mount connected to the motor in place) and jack the motor up. It's not a fun job I'll give you that but I'm pretty sure doing it that way you can avoid removing the intake or front end.

Danny
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
This Is A TDI and must come out bottom
Expert:  Danny replied 5 years ago.
I seem to remember being able to get it out without pulling the front end. Regardless I would try the way I said if it was me due to the fact that the repair calls to pull the front end into service position anyway. This requires headlight removal anyway so this isn't really an extra step other than pulling the motor mount which takes like 10 minutes. I would attempt it that way if it were me. Other than that there is no easy way to get it out.

Danny
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I got the alternator out,let the right motor mount go and droppped engine down,

remove bolts out od power steering pump and lifted it up,removed bolts from inter

cooler and out it comes.

Expert:  Danny replied 5 years ago.
Sweet, I knew I remembered pulling that mount. I saw the instructions in the repair manual about going into service position and I was like nope not doing that. Glad you got it out.

Danny
Danny, VW Mechanic
Experience: ASE Master Certified with L1 Certification, Volkswagen Certified, VW and Audi repair shop owner