Marty
Marty, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE & Bosch master tech. 30 years experience.
13230946

How to replace a thermostat in a 2000 vw beetle 2.0

Customer Question

Category: VW
Expert:  Marty replied 5 years ago.

Hi Mike, here's the instructions from the manual. Let me know if you have any questions.

graphic

Removing
Note: Always replace O-rings, seals and gaskets.

• Drain coolant
  • Disconnect coolant hose from connecting flange -3-.
  • Unscrew mounting bolts -4- of connecting flange -3- and remove connecting flange -3- with thermostat -1-.

• Installing
    Installation is carried out in the reverse sequence, when doing this observe the following:

• Moisten new O-ring -2- with engine coolant.

• Install connecting flange -3- with thermostat -1- into engine block.

Note: The brace on the thermostat must be almost vertical.

• Tighten mounting bolt-4-.

• Tightening torque: 15 Nm (11 ft. lbs.)

• Fill with engine coolant.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
do you need a special tool to remove mounting bolts?
Expert:  Marty replied 5 years ago.
I've been told that the bolts will accept either a 10mm hex socket or a 5mm allen wrench. You may need a 1/4 inch drive 10mm swivel socket and extension to access the bolts or a 5mm ball allen also works well. Can I ask why you are replacing the thermostat?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

its taking forever to get heat into the vehicle.(if not any). Im hoping its the thermostat and not the heater core under the dash. What you think?

Expert:  Marty replied 5 years ago.
I would think that if the thermostat were open all the time you would get a check engine light for insufficient coolant temperature faults. You should probably do some temperature checks. You can get a pretty good idea if the thermostat is working by feeling the radiator hoses. The upper hose should get pretty darn hot before the lower hose does. I'd also feel around at the hoses going into and out of the heater core. If they're good and hot then you may have a vent problem. If ones hot and ones cold then you may have a flow problem.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

can you give me a diagram of the heater core?

Expert:  Marty replied 5 years ago.
graphic

1

-

Heater core

2-Self-tapping screw
3-Air distribution housing
4-Servo motor for fresh/recirculating air door -V154-
5-Self-tapping screw
6-Fresh air blower -V2-
7-Cover
8-Self-tapping screw
9-Series resistor -N24-
10-Self-tapping screw
11-Central flap lever
12-Temperature flap lever
13-Base plate
14-Heater core bulkhead seal
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I got the thermostat in..but i brook the dip stick holder..man that was brittle!!I guess that would be a dealer part.. Now do I put the antifreez in the round resivor on the side?

Expert:  Marty replied 5 years ago.

The dipstick tube should be readily available from the dealer. They break easily. The part # XXXXX XXXXX 103 663C. It's a $9.00 part.

Yes, you would add coolant to the round reservoir. Use only VW coolant or the equivalent.

• Fill expansion tank slowly with coolant up to upper mark of hatched area.
  • Install expansion tank cap.
  • Turn off A/C (if equipped) and heater.
  • Start engine and run at increased idling speed (about 2000 RPM) for approximately 3 minutes.
  • Run engine until radiator fan starts.

WARNING: Steam can be released when the cap is removed from the expansion tank. Cover cap with a cloth and open carefully.

• Check coolant level and top-up if necessary.
  • When the engine is at normal operating temperature, the coolant level must be within the hatched area, and when the engine is cold, above the Min. Mark.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks for the help..How long is this question and answer session available for me to use? If this does not fix the heating problem, I may attempt the heater core..What do you think the difficulty of putting a heater core would be for someone who's somewhat mechanically incline but has never worked on a vw beetle?
Expert:  Marty replied 5 years ago.

I would NOT recommend trying to replace the heater core yourself. It's very very labor intensive and requires major disassembly of the dash. If you still have no heat you need to unhook the hoses and flush through the core with some fresh water. If the core is indeed plugged then replacement may be necessary. If it flows well then we need to look elsewhere for the problem.

It looks like the session times out in 24 hours. I'll still be available however. Sometimes I just don't get the email alert in my personal mailbox if it's timed out already and you'll have to rely on me seeing it in the general mailbox. You should contact customer service for clarification on that.

Expert:  gomi_otaku replied 5 years ago.
We almost NEVER replace heater cores on these. More than likely your coolant pump impeller has broken off the shaft and you are not getting any coolant flow. Remove the overflow hose on the reservoir and point it into the bottle, and start the car and rev it up to about 2000rpm. Flow should always be there and should increase when revved. It's a common problem on all the A4 vehicles.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I have to wait for the dealership to open Monday to replace the dip stick holder which broke off. I will try this test. If there is no flow,could you guied me to were i would find the coolant pump impeller? I'm looking into purchasing a manual for this vehicle. But for right now, i'm relieng on your expertes. Maybe A drawing would be great..thx.
Expert:  Marty replied 5 years ago.
Hi Mike, that wasn't me who chimed in on the water pump idea. I don't agree with the water pump problem in as much as you've never said the car was overheating. If the impeller has fallen off, as they sometimes do, your car should be boiling over.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
ok..no the car is not overheating.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I replaced the thermostat, ran water through only one heater core hose (could not reach the other hose) i figured one was better then none. The vehicle is putting out some heat, but not as much as its capable of. What ya think?

Expert:  Marty replied 5 years ago.
With the engine running at 2000 rpm but the heater turned off can you feel the two hoses? Are they evenly hot at the core? When you turn the heat on high and feel them does one seem cooler than the other? Does the temperature control knob seem to be doing anything?