MikeT, VW Technician
Experience:  VW dealer registered and certified. 10+years VW/Audi experience. Avid VW enthusiast.

passat tdi: with vibration in drive /rev..trans..checked comp all cyl

Customer Question

2005 volk passat tdi with vibration in drive /rev not in park or N. replaced all engine mounts and trans mounts still there. Checked comp all cyl 475 psi ,no work done recently on vech any idea? Thanks Joe @european motorcar service.
Category: VW
Expert:  MikeT replied 7 years ago.

The passats are notorious for this concern. Unfortunatly there is no real fix. Its is just the load from the trans when in drive or reverse with the foot brake on. This is somewhat of normal operation.

If this advise has been helpful, please accept.

Thank you

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
customer stated this is new ,I understand there would be some vibration but not like this . Dealer had vech and suggested removal and tear down of trans is something worn or damaged in trans that causes this ? Thank you Joe
Expert:  MikeT replied 7 years ago.

There arent really any issues with the Passat trans. I would doubt this has anything do with the customer concern. Its not unheard of, but unlikely. Do you have any faults in the trans control module or ECM? A vacuum leak or lean fuel trim faults could cause this aswell.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Mike thanks for the info . There are no codes in any system . I will check for vac leaks on thurs . We will also replace a very bad l/h drive axal assy , so I will keep you posted . I wanted to Accept answer so you would get payed because as a tech /owner one know knowledge is worth alot . Please stay with this post and I will figure out how to keep it open and get the money your way . Thanks Joe
Expert:  MikeT replied 7 years ago.

I'll be here Joe.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

thank you for your help. Believe it or not replacing the axles solved the problem. The inner joint must have been translating engine vibration to steering wheel when brake was applied. Maybe this info will help someone else. Appreciate all you did. Thanks

Expert:  MikeT replied 7 years ago.

Your welcome Joe. Its good to know the axle repaired this.