Danny, VW Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master Certified with L1 Certification, Volkswagen Certified, VW and Audi repair shop owner

Need to replace Blower motor on an 03 jetta TDI. Dealer wants

Customer Question

Need to replace Blower motor on an 03 jetta TDI. Dealer wants a small fortune. I do not have any idea where to access the old to replace it. it is getting cold in Central NY and I know for sure motor will fail on coldest day of winter. Have a shop willing to assist me for reasonable fee, however have no idea where motor is. behind center consul, glove box or under hood. any guidance and diagrams and any "watch out for's" would be appreciated
Category: VW
Expert:  Danny replied 7 years ago.

The blower motor is behind the glove box door, here's a picture of the assembly.

The only tricky part really is to make sure you don't screw up the glove box light, I've done it and if you do, the light will stay on and drain the battery. It took me over an hour just to get the light assembly back together. Glove box removal is fairly straight forward, a couple screws under the cap on the passenger side of the dash, 3 screws or so under the glovebox at the bottom of the dash, and a few screws inside the glovebox. I think there may be one hidden on the left side of the box hidden under some of the console plastic as well that's kind of hard to get to. You may be able to move the glovebox out of the way far enough to get the blower out without removal of that screw. Beware if the motor is burned out the resistor pack may have bit it as well. It's located in the same general area and you can check it for opens with a multimeter.

Expert:  Danny replied 7 years ago.

Thanks for the bonus and accept, disregard what I said about the resistor pack if your fan currently works on all speeds I didn't see the part where you said it was just squeeling on slowdown.