DPells
DPells, VW Technician
Experience:  3 years VW Dealer Experience, enthusiast and 2 year degree in automotive
14197995

how to replace headlight bulb on a vw bug

Category: VW
Expert:  vwbugman replied 8 years ago.
what year and model is it? Old beetle or new beetle?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
2007 Volkswagen new beetle
Expert:  DPells replied 8 years ago.
Hi copier, thanks for your question

Two options

1. Beetle headlight bulbs are pretty easy but can be annoying at the same time. Find what ever headlight bulb is out and pop the hood.Take a look on the inside of the fender of the light that is out. You should see a diagram with a lock, an arrow, and an unlocked lock. If on the driver side you'll have to pull off the battery cover to see it. Turn this screw with a 5 or 5.5 mm socket. That unlocks the headlamp to allow it to move. Now take a look below the screw with a flashlight. You should find a little metal tab that with a little pushing will move down. This retains the headlight and you have to simultaneously push on that button and pull or push the headlight out. Then its easy. Just pull of the plastic backing, remove the connector, release the spring and the bulb will come out. Then reinstall. make sure when you install the headlamp assembly that the grooves on the side line up with the grooves in the headlight hole of the fender. The head light should go in smoothly but a little will putrid until you lock it back down with the screw. I hope you understood all of that. But if you didn't or feel it's above your capabilities I have a second option.

2. Your vehicle is relatively new and i believe the headlight bulb should still be in warranty so you could take it down to your local vw dealership and check with them and if not you can pay them as well. I think its like $35.00 parts and labor.

I hope all that helps. If you still have questions please ask and I'll continue to help you.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

1. Beetle headlight bulbs are pretty easy but can be annoying at the same time. Find what ever headlight bulb is out and pop the hood.Take a look on the inside of the fender of the light that is out. You should see a diagram with a lock, an arrow, and an unlocked lock. If on the driver side you'll have to pull off the battery cover to see it. Turn this screw with a 5 or 5.5 mm socket. That unlocks the headlamp did this. Have been unable to get the assembly to move.

second option:
May 2007 12000 miles Trip time local vw dealership is about two hours plus service time.
Expert:  DPells replied 8 years ago.
should be under warranty, warranty will cover service time. Or 35 dollars will cover bulb and service time.

Or do it your self thats why i gave you the to options and how to do each one of them. I think thats what your trying to ask.

If i'm wrong please let me know, and let me know what your question is.
DPells, VW Technician
Experience: 3 years VW Dealer Experience, enthusiast and 2 year degree in automotive
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Is under warranty 4 years or 50,000 miles.
Just did not have time to go to the dealer when they are open but at this point will let them do it.