Marty, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE & Bosch master tech. 30 years experience.

2000 Beetle: the blower motor resistor

Customer Question

where is the blower motor resistor on my 2000 Beetle located? Is it easy to replace?
Category: VW
Expert:  Marty replied 7 years ago.
Hi noel, the resistor is located in the blower housing on the passenger's side. You'll need to remove the glove box to access the resistor. Are you sure the resistor is bad?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Well... I checked all the fuses. The fan was just dead!... nothing! Worked fine yesterday and the blower itself has made no noise or has not indicated that it was getting ready to break down, etc. No grinding, whirring, buzzing or rattling sounds - ran just fine until this morning - then nothing. Of course the AC dos not come on because the fan has to run before that will kick in. The fuses were all good... so... what I saw online indicated that I should either replace the blower motor resistor pack ($50 - $60) or take out the resistor pack - go to Radio Shack and get a new matching resistor and solder it in myself for about $1.20. How do I remove the glove box on this car?... didn't look readily accessible - but I didn't look real close either... thanks! Noel
Expert:  Marty replied 7 years ago.
Ok, you don't need to access the resistor just yet. If you have no fan operation on ANY speed, including high speed then you either have no power to fuse #25 or you have a bad blower switch. Even with a bad resistor high speed will operate.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
can I replace the blower switch myself?... where is it located? Approx hom much will one cost and can I get it at a local auto supply place?... or have to special order it?

Thanks... (I took down the glove box... all 11-12 screws!... just in case... ha!)
Expert:  Marty replied 7 years ago.
Noel, the blower switch is your a/c control panel. Have you tested for power at fuse #25 yet?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
How do I test for power on fuse 25?... it isn't blown - I can see that. Do I need special gear to do that?... a voltmeter of some sort?
Expert:  Marty replied 7 years ago.
Yes, either a voltmeter or a test light. You can pickup a cheap test light at a Walmart or any auto parts store. If your hazard flashers, wipers and rear window defroster work chances are the fuse has power. The fuses for all of those items each receives their power from the load reduction relay as does fuse #25. Check that out and I'll post some instruction on removing the control panel.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
yes... the hazards, wipers, rear window defogger, radio, CD - everything works fine. I have a small outlet tester for inside my home... will that work?... and I assume the engine has to be running?
Thanks!... Noel
Expert:  Marty replied 7 years ago.
If it's a meter it will work. If it's just a 2 wire AC test light it won't work. We can pretty much assume you have power at the fuse if the other items work.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
soooOOooo... what next? I need to get this all squared away ASAP - as I drive long distances to work each day - and will surely need the defroster, etc.   I'm hoping I can get whatever parts I need tomorrow and get this put back together before noon. Thanks for sticking with me on this.   Noel
Expert:  Marty replied 7 years ago.

You should get the test light just to be sure. If you decide to replace the switch yourself it's probably about a 2 hour job for a first timer. There are some cables that can be pretty difficult to get off and back on again. If you think you want to tackle it I'll cut and paste the step by step from the manual.

Just to confirm. Is this your a/c control panel?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
<p>The diagram doesn't show the A/C button. This is a 2000 VW New Beetle 2.0L</p><p>Other than the A/C button that is missing - it does look correct. Thanks again... send the instructions along and I'll see if I feel like I can do thi myself. If not, about how much would something like this run?</p>
Expert:  Marty replied 7 years ago.

Ok, just verifying that you had manual climate control. The part retails for approximately $200.00. I would expect the installed price to be between $300-$350.00.

Here's the instruction:

• Remove center air outlet console.
  • Center air outlet console, removing

First do the following:

• Remove radio.
    • Push center cover -1- forward -arrow A- and lift up to remove.
    • Unclip covers -2-.
    • Remove lower switch console cover -1- (remove screws).
    • Remove screws -arrows-.

• Remove center air outlet console.

• graphic
  • Remove mounting screws -arrows-.
  • Lift out controls with cables from instrument panel in direction of -arrow A-.
  • Detach cables from controls.
  • Disconnect electrical connector.
  • Reverse procedure for installation.
Expert:  Marty replied 7 years ago.

And for the radio:

• Slide radio release tool T10057 into release slots (arrows) until they engage.
  • Pull radio out of instrument panel using grip rings of release tools.
Expert:  Marty replied 7 years ago.
Hi Noel, do you still need help with this problem? If not, and the information has been helpful, please click on Accept so that I can be paid for my time. Thank you!