DPells, VW Technician
Experience:  3 years VW Dealer Experience, enthusiast and 2 year degree in automotive

how to change headlight on 2007 VW new beetle

Customer Question

Category: VW
Expert:  DPells replied 7 years ago.
Hi deputy, thanks for your question

Two options

1. Beetle headlight bulbs are pretty easy but can be annoying at the same time. Find what ever headlight bulb is out and pop the hood.Take a look on the inside of the fender of the light that is out. You should see a diagram with a lock, an arrow, and an unlocked lock. If on the driver side you'll have to pull off the battery cover to see it. Turn this screw with a 5 or 5.5 mm socket. That unlocks the headlamp to allow it to move. Now take a look below the screw with a flashlight. You should find a little metal tab that with a little pushing will move down. This retains the headlight and you have to simultaneously push on that button and pull or push the headlight out. Then its easy. Just pull of the plastic backing, remove the connector, release the spring and the bulb will come out. Then reinstall. make sure when you install the headlamp assembly that the grooves on the side line up with the grooves in the headlight hole of the fender. The head light should go in smoothly but a little will putrid until you lock it back down with the screw. I hope you understood all of that. But if you didn't or feel it's above your capabilities I have a second option.

2. Your vehicle is relatively new and i believe the headlight bulb should still be in warranty so you could take it down to your local vw dealership and check with them and if not you can pay them as well. I think its like $35.00 parts and labor.

I hope all that helps. If you still have questions please ask and I'll continue to help you.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

the only thing I can see are 2 white Hex screws on the headlamp housing itself. I can't locate that 5mm screw that you mentioned

Expert:  DPells replied 7 years ago.
Ok the 2 white hex screws are the alignment screws so don't mess with those. What your looking for will be just to the right of the front of the battery. You'll have to probably use a flash light to see it. It will be on whats called the headlight bucket.

The headlight bucket is what the headlight assembly installs into.

Near the fron of the bucket on the inside of the fender near the front you should find the screw and you'll ahve to use a socket so the screw will be pretruding unlike the alignment screws. If you still can't find it let me know and i'll see if i can't find you a picture of it or something. So try that first and let me know.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I did find the screw and the metal tab. When I press the tab the housing unit is loose but I just can't seem to pull it out. Seems like something is still catching somewhere.
Expert:  DPells replied 7 years ago.
Yeah that tab you kind of have to hit just right. As a technician i still have trouble from time to time, sometimes it helps if you have two people because one can focus completely on the tab and the other can pull. Make sure that the screw is completely unlocked. Then while pressing the tab have them just yank on it and it should move. Sometimes they're stubborn. But as long as its completely unlocked and the tab is pushed down as far as it will go you won't hurt it. The tension is most likely the connector being stubborn. What you can't see is the light connector which actually is a little cool connector. It automatically clips in and releases when the headlight is removed or installed so you dont have to do anything with it.

So just push the tab down and simultaneously have someone help by pulling that headlight out and then the rest is cake.

Keep me posted.