DPells
DPells, VW Technician
Experience:  3 years VW Dealer Experience, enthusiast and 2 year degree in automotive
14197995

1999 Passat: Dash..console lights blink on and off and sometimes stay

1999 Passat Dash and console lights blink on and off and sometimes stay off for longer periods of time. What might be causing this problem?
Category: VW
Expert:  DPells replied 8 years ago.
Hi micfeerod, thaks for the question, i have an answer

Whe your lights are doing this do they all go out or is it jsut somethings on your instrument cluster that go out.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Instrument cluster and radio/heater control console only. The headlights do not go out. I have been told my taillights are not affected.
Expert:  DPells replied 8 years ago.
it sounds like maybe your either your headlight switch or your dimmer switch becuase these all affect your console lights. check and make sure both of these switches are getting constant power and see if either of themm have frayed or showing wires or check for loose connections at the switch. you should be able to either pull the switches out gently with a small flat screw driver or pull the cover out from under the dash to get to these switches. If everything looks good let me know.

thank you for your time
Dpells