David, VW Master Technician
Experience:  VW Master Technician Certified for 9 years, ASE Master Technician Certified

How do i change the back brake pads on 2001 vw beetle

Customer Question

how do i change the back brake pads on 2001 vw beetle
Category: VW
Expert:  David replied 7 years ago.

The rear brake pads are fairly easy to remove and replace, but you will need the special tool to compress the piston back into place. You will need a 13 and 15mm wrench, remove the caliper by removing the two 13mm bolts, you will need the 15 to hold the back from turning. Once the caliper is off, see picture below to reinstall the piston back into the caliper.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
this does no good if you cant print pictures the piston will not compress
Expert:  David replied 7 years ago.
Why cant you print the pictures, you can open them and view them each. The piston needs to be turned while it is compressed this is the special tool needed to do them
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Sorry I could not print the pictures. I called the volkswagen dealership and they told me there was no way i could buy the proper tool to change the brakes myself. Only snap on tools will sell it. i dont have time to drive around looking for a snap on tool truck. You have to take your car somewhere to change brakes if you can find someone who is willing to buy tools to work on foreign cars. You also have to buy special tools to change the oil. The dealership will not sell or rent you these tools. I wish i knew this before i bought the car. Basic maintenance is very costly.
Expert:  David replied 7 years ago.

Harbor Freight has them in stock. You can also purchase on line for around $19.00 - $59.00

click on the link for the tool that is $19.00