Clayso
Clayso, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  30 years experience full service, all makes and models. I fix cars.
9358908

I have a 1999 Passat with a 1.8T. I have a misfire on #2 cyl.

Customer Question

I have a 1999 Passat with a 1.8T. I have a misfire on #2 cyl. I began with swaping the coil pack around and it didn't make a diff. Then I tested the supply power to the coil, i have 3 wires 2 the coil, one pos. one neg. and theres nothing on the third. I went to the power stage module on the air box tested continuity from pin 3 to the other 4 pins and they all have the same readings. Is there another module that controls spark to the coil or is there only the ecm and the power stage mod.
Category: VW
Expert:  Mr.Fix It replied 8 years ago.

is there a distributer on this engie or is it distributless also whne did this start what were the conditions
just for knowlenge the third wire foing to the coil should be for a tach

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
It started all at once. It doesnt matter if its cold or hot. I origanly thought it was the valve cover gasket was the prob. because the spark plug hole was full of oil.
Expert:  Mr.Fix It replied 8 years ago.
does it have a distributer or is it a coil pack also what is the condition of the plug
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

im sorry. no it doesnt have a dist. it has individ. coil packs

Expert:  Mr.Fix It replied 8 years ago.

i guess what i should ask are you getting any spark at all also have you tried a new wire or a differnt one

i see you already tried a differnt coil so its probley not the coil also have you visually checked for spark along with checking compression

i am not to familular with your car but i will try and help if i cant ill opt out and let aneather expert assist you

Expert:  Mr.Fix It replied 8 years ago.

basically what im asking is everything that you have tried it could even be somthng so simle as a wire bad to as complex as cam sensor and inorder to give an accurate answer i need as much detail as possible

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
This car doesnt have wires it has coil packs on each cylinder that insert ito the center of the valve cover. i have good compression on all cylinders. If it was a cmp sensor woudnt that give me a random misfire or only on one cylinder
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I just tried a cam sensor but im still having the same prob.
Expert:  Mr.Fix It replied 8 years ago.
it could do either here let me check something and ill get back to you
Expert:  Mr.Fix It replied 8 years ago.

well like i said im not to familure with this setup sorry i dont belive i can help you so i will opt out and request aneather expert all i can really offer is check all sensors to do with timing and ensure that the plugs are clean and free of corosion im sure that there is a controller somewere for the coils but im not sure so thank you and good luck

one thing i would like to know are you getting any spark at all on it

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Thank you for your time any way. No im not getting any spark on that cylinder.
Expert:  Clayso replied 8 years ago.

Hi there. I see your problem and understand this is what you need.

Repair: Replace the power stage (ignition output module), part
number for this car was 4D0-905-351. In stock at the local
dealer. Price around $280.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I did a resistance test on the power stage and im getting the same amount of resistance on pin 1,4, & 5 . Is that the correct procedure for testing this unit?
Expert:  Clayso replied 8 years ago.
Hi there. The resistance is not the problem but the power to the affected coil is the culprit, it is like number 2 does want to play any more, I have seen this on numbers 1,2 and 4b but never number 3. Later on in the year VW changed and got away from the power stage (ignition output module),. I figure they saw the errors in their ways.
Clayso, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: 30 years experience full service, all makes and models. I fix cars.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
ok thanks I'll put one on
Expert:  Clayso replied 8 years ago.
Hi there. Let me know. You are my customer, and I will not stop until your vehicle is fixed.