Danny, VW Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master Certified with L1 Certification, Volkswagen Certified, VW and Audi repair shop owner

how do I change headlight bulb on 2005 beetle both sides

Category: VW
Expert:  Danny replied 7 years ago.

If you look through the hood down at the headlight bucket assembly there's a 5mm hex head. You have to turn that 90 degrees in one direction (should be marked on the assembly) and then begin to slide the headlamp out. There's also a silver catch near the rear of the headlight assembly in the engine there that you have to press down on with a long screwdriver to be able to slide the bucket out. The rest is the same as any other car.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Sounds good, I'm at work and the car is at home, I will try your instructions, if have any problems will let you know, if it works I'll accept your answer.
Expert:  Danny replied 7 years ago.
Yeah you may have a hard time finding the release in the back. There's also a small chance you have a plastic lever that just slides on your assembly I believe 2005 was the year they went to the new style I described first. So on the other one you just slide the plastic lever on the assembly after gently pressing the tab in on it.

Either way let me know and I'll talk you through it. I am on here pretty much all the time so just reply in this thread and you should get a reply back fairly quickly.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Hi, in this pic. the grey parts are the hex I'm assuming which I turned and moved the level up buy pushing the black tab down but I cant find the silver catch you mentioned .

VW headlight

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Hi, I uploaded a picture to make sure I'm not doing or loosening something I'm not suppose to , but have not heard anything, If this is considered a second question, or I need to make another deposit let me know, I'll pay for the first and the second.
Expert:  Danny replied 7 years ago.
Ok you have the old version. You see that little cross hatched rectangle by the lever? Push it in slightly and then slide the lever upwards all the way. That will release your headlight so you can pull it out.