MikeT, VW Technician
Experience:  VW dealer registered and certified. 10+years VW/Audi experience. Avid VW enthusiast.

2003 VW Passat: the speed sensor located..EPC..check engine light

Where is the speed sensor located on a 2003 VW Passat W8 as I have an EPC and check engine light lit and I have read that it may be a bad speed sensor.
Category: VW
Expert:  MikeT replied 7 years ago.
You will first need to get those faults checked before replacing parts you may not need. EPC and MIL could be a hundred different things. Visit your local dealer or VW repair facility to get the vehicle scanned.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I just want to know if it could be related to the recent transmission work I had done. I took it back to them because there was a leak coming from the transmission and they said it was coming from where the wiring harness went into the trans. They supposedly fixed it but i noticed it was still leaking.
Expert:  MikeT replied 7 years ago.
The leak from the harness is VERY common on these. They would not have touched the speed sensor during this repair though. The best way to go about this is get the vehicles control modules scanned, to be sure what we are dealing with

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
thank you for your answer but do you think I am looking at another big expense repair? I just bought this car 3 months ago and have already put over $2500 in repairs...torque converter, starter, brakes, dust cover. I can't afford to keep doing this.
Expert:  MikeT replied 7 years ago.
Honestly. There is no way of knowing until the vehicle is scanned and we know what faults are causing these lights.