David, VW Master Technician
Experience:  VW Master Technician Certified for 9 years, ASE Master Technician Certified

2002 VW GTI: no headlights, wipers or tunr signals...fuse panel.

Customer Question

no headlights, wipers or tunr signals. 2002 VW GTI VR6. wheres is fuse panel. They work at times, and at times dont
Category: VW
Expert:  David replied 7 years ago.

I believe your problem to be the load reduction relay J59 which is located on the relay panel position number two. Both the headlights and the wipers get power from this relay. I would replace the relay to start.

Relay diagram

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Could not locate a relay over the weekend. Instead went back to dealer. I opened the J59 relay, aka 100 relay. it looked good. No bad solder. Replaced anyway. Also replaced PCM, was saturated with water. All acc working. Had car sit overnight, tried this morning, and again, no headlights, horn, wipers,heater fan, turn signals, rear defroster. Does have high beams, emerg flashers, radio, running lights and runs fine.
Expert:  David replied 7 years ago.

The only other thing that I can think of, is that there may be a problem with the igntion switch, I would suggest you check the wiring and make sure it is sending out power on both circuits. The switch is a two part and has two wires that supply power to several different circuits, if one side is faulty it can cause issues like this. You can also try and wiggle the swich to see if the wipers come back on