MikeT
MikeT, VW Technician
Experience:  VW dealer registered and certified. 10+years VW/Audi experience. Avid VW enthusiast.
13677719

2001 beetle: electric door locks dont work, Checked all fuses and they

2001 beetle, windows and electric door locks dont work, Checked all fuses and they were good.
Category: VW
Expert:  MikeT replied 8 years ago.
Is this just on the driver side or both windows?
Does your dome light work when door is open?
Does the headlight chime work?
Does the light in the lower left corner of your door panel turn on when you open the door?

-Mike
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Is this just on the driver side or both windows? BOTH
Does your dome light work when door is open? NO
Does the headlight chime work? NO
Does the light in the lower left corner of your door panel turn on when you open the door? YES
Expert:  MikeT replied 8 years ago.
Pull back the rubber boot at the driver door jamb, at the front, let me know if you see any broken wires in there. Sound like you need a driver front door latch aswell.

-Mike
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

The only rubber boot that I could see was the rubber that goes from the door jamb to the body, and it houses many wires. Is that it? If so,I didn't see any broken wires.

Expert:  MikeT replied 8 years ago.
Yes that is it. Make sure that the harness connector is securly inserted into the recieving end. Does the passenger window work with the passenger switch?

-Mike
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Does the passenger window work with the passenger switch? NO
Expert:  MikeT replied 8 years ago.
Do your sun visor lights work?
Sorry for all the questions but I need to know. Also would you mind sending me your VIN # XXXXX'd like to get into some wiring diagrams

-Mike
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

Do your sun visor lights work? YES

VIN # XXXXX

Expert:  MikeT replied 8 years ago.
Do you have a test light or multimeter? Check for power on BOTH sides of fuses 14 and 38. Does your trunk release button work?

-Mike
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

Does your trunk release button work? YES

I RECHECKED 14 AND 38, THEY SEEM TO BE OK. I DONT HAVE A TEST LIGHT.

Expert:  MikeT replied 8 years ago.
Just becasue the fuses look ok, doesnt mean there is power supply there. Well now that we have looked into a few things, I can now say that you likely have a faulty comfort module. I dont see it being a communication issue, being that both front doors get its signal from the can bus. If that communication signal was bad, you would have many other things inoprative. You will need to see the dealer for this repair or find someone with Vag-Com as the new module will have to be coded.

-Mike