Danny
Danny, VW Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master Certified with L1 Certification, Volkswagen Certified, VW and Audi repair shop owner
13195203

Trunk wont open with key is there a way to manually open trunk

Trunk wont open with key is there a way to manually open trunk and the driver door button does not work either to open trunk. Also, does the 2002 Jetta have a separate trunk key or does the ignition key unlock the trunk.
Category: VW
Expert:  Danny replied 8 years ago.
Ellis,

The ignition key will open the trunk unless it's the valet key (which is a normal flat key with no alarm buttons and has a wrench on it). If you cannot open the trunk, with your key you'll have to climb into the trunk through the back seat with a flash light and remove the trim panel on the trunk (there's two screws hidden in there and then it just pops off). After you remove the trim then you can manually open the trunk.

Danny
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
what are the possible problems why the driver side door latch for trunk does not work but the gas latch does?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
why wont the driver door trunk release latch wont work? My Valet Key is Black with VW emblem and the key part has a small teardrop looking shape at top that is black. Last question is how much does a trunk key cost?
Expert:  Danny replied 8 years ago.
Do you have the lock cylinder next to the buttons locked? If so that is why. If not then it sounds like there's something wrong with the trunk assembly. Either the unlock solenoid is faulty or part of the mechanism for the lock cylinder is frozen. You could also have a faulty latch.

Danny
Expert:  Danny replied 8 years ago.
You still have access to this thread?
Expert:  Danny replied 8 years ago.
You can get a non valet key at the dealership only because your car has an immobiliser chip in the key. The dealer is the only one who can program this to your car.

Danny
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

last question, any thought why the trunk latch does not work but the gas cap latch does.

When I press the latch i can hear a clicking noise but trunk does not open.

Expert:  Danny replied 8 years ago.
Some part of the mechanism is either disconnected or frozen solid. I've seen the lock assembly mechanism corrode and get stiff so it won't allow the trunk to open. I've also seen the latch fail.

Danny