ttiger79, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Advanced level L1 master certified auto technician

2001 Volkswagon Jetta VR6 How much should it cost to replace

2001 Volkswagon Jetta VR6 How much should it cost to replace the thermostat and housing and anything else necesary with parts and labor included?
Category: VW
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

2001 Volkswagen jetta vr6
Expert:  ttiger79 replied 7 years ago.
The thermostat lists for $45.75 from the dealership and the housing cost depends on the body style of your Jetta. If you have a sedan, the housing lists for $31. If you have a wagon, the housing lists for $129. Replacing both will run you about 2.5 hours labor- labor rates vary depending on your location. The only other thing needed would be coolant. This should cost less than $20 for your vehicle.

Keep in mind that shops will usually have a mark-up on their parts prices. The parts prices that I have listed are dealership parts, and aftermarket parts will be much cheaper if available.

Let me know if you have any more questions!
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I was told that it would cost approx. $450 to complete. Seems about the range if the parts were doubled but also was told it is about 4 hours to complete the work. Is that possible?
Expert:  ttiger79 replied 7 years ago.
The time estimate seems a tad high for the repair. Parts prices may be doubled for the parts mark-up. This isn't uncommon.