David, VW Master Technician
Experience:  VW Master Technician Certified for 9 years, ASE Master Technician Certified

2004 VW Jetta: What is the best oil brand and weight..TDI.

What is the best oil brand and weight for my 2004 VW Jetta TDI. Some say 5w30 and others say 5w40. I am thinking about ELF Solaris, is that a good brand?
Category: VW
Expert:  David replied 8 years ago.
The 04 and Up TDI require a special oil that has the additive to protect the cam injector lobe. This oil needs to meet the VW spect 505-01. Failure to use the correct oil in this engine will result in cam shaft damage. I would recommend you find an Am-Oil dealer near you, this is very good oil but you need to get the correct one, 5W040
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Ok so I need 5w40 and ELF Solaris is a good brand? I just want to make sure I put the best fully synthetic oil in my car for best performance.
Expert:  David replied 8 years ago.
Give me a couple of minutes, let me log on to VW and see if that oil meets the 505-01 Spects.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Ok thank you
Expert:  David replied 8 years ago.
EFL Solaris LSX oil does meet the 505-01 oil standard. Make sure the EFL oil you are looking at has the LSX on it. The tech bulletin for oil standards shows this oil being a 5W-30 oil which is ok on this engine.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Yes that is what I was looking at. Ordering 5qts of ELF Solaris LSX 5W40 Synthetic Oil with the One Mann HU 726/2x Oil Filter. I love this little diesel and want to make sure I am putting the right stuff in it. Thank you. :-)