Jake
Jake, VW Technician
Experience:  Over 30 years experience with VW, Audi, BMW. Factory trained, former Shop Foreman, Service Manager

how do i reset the radio on my 2001 VWjetta?

Customer Question

Category: VW
Expert:  Jake replied 5 years ago.

Thank you for choosing "Just Answer" for your query. Yes, I can help you.

I assume you are talking about the security coding when your radio displays "SAFE" after a battery disconnect. Here is the procedure.

Anti-theft security code, inputting

The security code is "fixed", meaning the radio is programmed by the radio manufacturer to accept only one code. This code must be input during the new vehicle delivery inspection, into newly installed or existing units removed and reinstalled.

Prerequisites:

• Obtain security code, either from code card or from customer.
  • Radio power supply fuse OK (according to wiring diagram)

Inputting code/cancelling electronic lock-up

• Switch on radio "SAFE" appears in radio display, followed by "1000" approximately 3 seconds later
  • Input the security code found on the radio card using the station preset buttons on the radio. Button "1" corresponds to the first number in the security code, "2" the second and so on. Press the applicable button repeatedly until the desired number appears in the display (eg.: press button "1" three times it the first number in the code is 3).
  • When the entire code has been input and appears on the display, press the right side of the "Seek" button (">") for longer then 2 seconds until an audible signal is heard.

Incorrect code number

If an incorrect code is entered, "SAFE" will appear in the display (first blinking and then continuous) and the radio will not function. The entire coding procedure can only be repeated one more time immediately (the number of attempts is displayed).

If during the second attempt an incorrect code is entered, the radio will lock-up for approximately one hour. Leave radio switched on for 1 hour and attempt coding again when the number of attempts on display goes out (ensure proper code is available).

Cycle: 2 attempts - 1 hour lock-up still applies.

I hope I have answered your questions and addressed your concerns. Should you have further questions on this matter, please do not hesitate to ask. I want you to be 100% satisfied with my answer.

Positive feedback, referrals and bonuses are always APPRECIATED! If you accept MY answer please click on the "ACCEPT" button by THIS answer.

Thank You!

Jake "THE AUDI DOCTOR"

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
'' safe" does not appear at any time, i have tried to turn the radio on repeatedly and nothing shows on the radio screen
Expert:  Jake replied 5 years ago.

So the problem is that there is no power to the radio?

You say you checked the fuses. If the fuse is ok, then I would check the fuse on the back of the radio, if I remember correctly I believe there should be one. You will need some special radio keys to remove the radio. They are inserted into the small slots at the sides of the radio of the radio. once removed check for the fuse. if the fuse is ok or not there you must then check for power at the back of the radio. If you need more help from there let me know. When you do get power restored to the radio "SAFE" may be displayed and then follow the procedure I previously sent you.

Thank you!

Jake