gomi_otaku
gomi_otaku, VW Technician
Experience:  VW FastTrack '00-'01, VW Academy Chicago and Seattle '00-present, VW Certified
12249065

Caravelle: VW..camshaft gasket has blown up what coursed cooling water

Customer Question

Good day! VW Caravelle 2,6 1994. During driving for a long time using 1st and 2nd gear engine was overheated and camshaft gasket has blown up what coursed cooling water in. Volkswagen does not supply any instructions for the maintenance for this model and I could not get any literature halping to deal with 5 cilinders engine. What will you recommend me to do? Thank you
Category: VW
Expert:  gomi_otaku replied 8 years ago.
When you say "camshaft gasket" do you mean the valve cover gasket? If you have coolant up there, you've blown your head gasket and need to remove the head completely and replace the head gasket. At that point, since you will be removing the timing belt, I would replace that as well as the relay rollers, tensioner, and water pump. Since it was overheated, you are going to need to check the head and the block deck to make sure they are not warped at all.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Hi Gomi. Thanks very much for the responce. I know exactly what youy mean. I was asking you to explain those procedures step by step in details. I've got the answer from you in general. I'm cancelling my request due to there is a big difference in time between America and South Africa. I'm much appresiate your support but it looks quite complicated. Thanks very much for your time and have a nice day!
OK, thanks