gomi_otaku
gomi_otaku, VW Technician
Experience:  VW FastTrack '00-'01, VW Academy Chicago and Seattle '00-present, VW Certified
12249065

How to remove a standard stick shift knob from a 1999 VW B

How to remove a standard stick shift knob from a 1999 VW Beetle?

Hi my name is John.

graphic

graphic

Let me know if you need more.

Please push the accept button when were done.

Thank you for choosing just answer.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

Dear XXXXX,

I have taken the insert cap off. What I am trying to do is to change the handle.Please assist?

You need to grab the boot, and pull it up out of the console. If you pull it up over the knob, you will see that the knob has 4 "fingers" with a bump on them, that lock into a groove in the shaft of the shift rod. There is a crimp clamp that holds the fingers in place. If you are able to loosen the crimp clamp by inserting a pick inside the crimped part and twisting gently (or grabbing it by the open sides with a pliers and gently twisting back and forth), it may be able to be removed and re-used. However, this is not like previous models that screw on and off, so any knob you install will also have to be a type that is held on with a clamp.
gomi_otaku, VW Technician
Experience: VW FastTrack '00-'01, VW Academy Chicago and Seattle '00-present, VW Certified