Amedee, VW Technician
Experience:  ASE certified Technician advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector

How do I change the spark plugs in a 99 VW Cabrio convertible

Customer Question

How do I change the spark plugs in a 99 VW Cabrio convertible? 2.0 liter engine.
Category: VW
Expert:  Amedee replied 8 years ago.

If there is no spark going to the spark plugs, then replacing the spark plugs will not fix your problem.

First thing to do is check to see if the coil has power with the key in the on position. You can use a test light or a voltmeter.

Next step would be to see if its getting a ground signal trigger. This is done with a test light. But only you would hook it up backwards. Hook the alligator clip of the test light and hook it to battery positive, and take the tip of the test light and touch it the signal wire of the coil. (If you need a diagram let me know). The test light should blink when cranking over the engine if its getting a signal. Good luck!
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Hi there,

A few questions - where do I get a test light?

Where is the coil?

Expert:  Amedee replied 8 years ago.

You can get a test light at any local auto parts store.

The ignition coil is number 12 in the diagram.